American Horror Story, Freek Show, and the music therein...

I was really caught off guard when the character of Elsa Mars (played by Jessica Lange) started belting out the song Life on Mars in the first episode of season four of American Horror Story.

This season brings us "Freak Show", set in 1952 Jupiter, Florida.

The performance caught me off guard because the song seemed out of place for 1952, as did the outfit Ms. Mars wore on stage.

You'll have to forgive me for my ignorance on this one.  I do claim to be a David Bowie fan, but I'm only familiar with his work from about the mid to late 80's on.  Life on Mars was released in 1973, the year of my birth.

Mildly intrigued, but not enough to investigate at the time, I moved on.

Then I caught Episode 7, Test of Strength, where the character of Jimmy Darling (played by Evan Peters) belts out his cover of Nirvana's Come As You Are.  Now that one I KNEW didn't belong!

Prompted to actually investigate this time, I headed for the wikipedia and started searching.

I was amused to learn that the outfit worn by Ms. Mars while performing Life on Mars, is in fact the same one that David Bowie wore.

HAH!

To which I say:  GOOD JOB SHOW!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

This is just the place I come to share all my thoughts about 'Him'.
Sarah Anne Smith. Powered by Blogger.