Twips (Twitter Tips) episode 1, 3 things to consider before #following back


I get a lot of Twitter followers, and I take the rather controversial approach of not following absolutely EVERY one of them back.  (sorry, it's just the way I am).  

If you don't care about the quality of your twitter connections and you focus more on quantity, good for you.  It's your twitter, do what makes you happy.

Now, if you're more like me and you DO care about the quality of your overall twitter experience, then there are some things to consider before fostering a twitter relationship.
  1. What does the short description say?
That tiny little profile can be choc full of some big information.  If there's nothing there, I don't follow back.  If there's nothing but hash tags and links, I don't follow back.  If there's a short message saying they don't respond to DM's or something like that, I don't follow back.  

If there's a thoughtfully written, short bio, that tells gives me some sense of who, what, how, when, where or why... oh yeah.  It's likely that one will get a follow.  
  1. Is the header image pixelated?  
Maybe it's an aesthetics thing from my web design days, but if that header image is all pixelated to hell and gone, I'm not going to consider that person to be a professional.  I am, therefore, less than likely to follow for a professional connection.

If it's a personal twitter, yeah, fine, you're forgiven.  But if you're a professional who is serious about your social media, either learn how to make your header pretty or hire someone who can.
  1. Read a few tweets, at least the first page...
If there's nothing but retweets... nope, not gonna follow.  If the tweets are original, but completely vapid... nope, not gonna follow.  If the tweets are nothing but an endless drivel of self promotion... yep, you guessed it, nope, not gonna follow.

If the tweets are full of quality, original content.  Much better.  Points if there's at least one hashtag in there.

If the tweets are links to blogs or news articles.  Fantastic, you have my attention.  Well done.


All in all, please tweet responsibly and there's a good chance you'll gain more followers for just being awesome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

This is just the place I come to share all my thoughts about 'Him'.
Sarah Anne Smith. Powered by Blogger.